Who we are: The Liab' und Schneid story
Elisabeth and Tom were born in Austria and Switzerland respectively. In 2007, they founded the German music duo Liab’ und Schneid to promote the authentic Alpine sounds they love. Their energy, instrumental ability and the authenticity of their sound has made them an instant success in the Mid-Atlantic area and beyond.
Liab' und Schneid's has been featured or appears regularly at venues including:
- Embassy of Austria, Washington DC
- Embassy of Switzerland, Washington DC
- Austrian Ambassador's Residence, Washington DC
- Frederick Oktoberfest, Frederick, MD
- Annual Crabtoberfest, Cambridge, MD
- Charles County Oktoberfest, La Plata, MD
- Old Europe Restaurant, Washington DC
- At Kaiser's Restaurant, Ashburn, VA
- The Strathmore Mansion Tearoom Concerts, Bethesda, MD
- Maryland Renaissance Festival, Crownsville, MD
- Old Stein Restaurant and Beer Gardens, Edgewater, MD
- Zum Rheingarten Restaurant, Stafford, VA
- Community Lutheran Church Oktoberfest, Sterling, VA
- Wintergreen Summer Music Festival, Wintergreen, VA
- Cafe Mozart, Washington DC
- Catholic University of America, Washington DC
- Doener Bistro, Leesburg, VA, and Frederick, MD
- Black Forest Restaurant, Asheville, NC
- Brevard Public Library Concert Series, Brevard, NC
- The Swiss Club, Metro DC
- Plus private parties, wine-tastings, Heurigers and more!
Elisabeth was born and raised in the hilly countryside near Graz in Austria. After moving to the USA, she has been an active part of Alt Washingtonia Schuhplatter Verein (SVAW), Washington DC’s largest German and Bavarian dancing and musical entertainment group. An accomplished instrumentalist, she has also been involved with the old-time music scene in the Mid-Atlantic area as a guitar player, fiddle-music accompanyist and mountain-dulcimer player.
Tom was born in Locarno, Switzerland, and raised in Northern Italy. He has a degree in music theory/composition and professional training in Baroque and early-classical keyboard instruments. He inherited the love for the accordion from his father Ezio, a virtuoso on that instrument who composed and recorded some popular hits in the 1940's and 1950's. By day, Tom teaches Latin language and Classics at local universities.
"Die Musik war ein voller Erfolg. Ich bin mehrmals sehr positiv darauf angesprochen worden."
What does Liab’ und Schneid mean?
In the German-speaking Alpine tradition and in many song-lyrics, Liab’ und Schneid are the two character-traits prized in girls and boys respectively. Liab’ is dialect for “Liebe,” which in this context means sweetness or loveliness, while Schneid is a mix between youthful daring and irreverent chutzpah. These traits are also in our music: some of our pieces are liab (sweet and tender), while others are schneidi (bold and full of spirit)!
Elisabeth: Vocals, Classical and Schrammel Guitar, Bass, Raffele, Alpine xylophone, Steirisches Accordion, Zither.
Tom: Vocals, Steirisches Accordion, Schwyzerörgeli, Gemshorn, Zither, Guitars.